The Platelet Rich Plasma treatment (PRP) Facial or “Vampire Facial” as it is most commonly known is the most innovative way to rejuvenate skin back to its youthful state by using one’s own nutrient-derived plasma.
A Vampire Facial, at Face Cosmedics Medical Spa, combines microneedling with the topical application of platelet-rich plasma (PRP). PRP is derived from your own blood for an incredibly effective skin rejuvenation treatment. Amazingly, your plasma contains many essential growth factors and proteins that skin needs in order to provide a healthy treatment response and completely rejuvenated results.
Microneedling is a minimally invasive skin-rejuvenation procedure that involves the use of a needling device. The needles are used to puncture the skin, creating micro-channels that trigger the body to heal by producing new collagen and elastin in the dermis. In addition, new capillaries are formed for improved blood supply — which helps to nourish your skin and give it that healthy glow who doesn’t love the sound of that! Plump, healthy and dewy skin!
The Vampire portion of this facial (PRP) is the part where we take some of your blood and separate your golden platelets from the red blood cells. Platelets are the cells in the blood that help tissue to heal and grow new cells. The addition of PRP to this procedure gives you the wow factor as it further aids in the healing process. PRP contains growth factors, which help to activate cells that lie dormant in your skin. It also aids in the regeneration of new skin and production of collagen, making your skin look more refreshed, smoother, and firmer
The Vampire Facial is a versatile treatment that can address a wide range of skin conditions such as
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Overly large pores
- Stretch marks
- Acne scars
- Uneven skin tone and texture
- Improve your skin’s texture, tone, and color
TREATMENTS: Vampire Facial
CONCERNS: Reduces acne scars, fine lines & wrinkles, evens skin tone & texture
SUITABLE FOR: All skin types – consultation required.
TREATMENT PREP: See Pre Post Treatment instruction tab below
TREATMENT TIME: 1 – 1.5 hour appointment
RESULTS SEEN: Results develop over the course of 4 weeks as the skin heals. 1-2 days of slight downtime is typical after treatment.
REPEAT: Series of 3 treatments spaced 4-6 weeks apart.
Frequently Ask Questions
- Dramatically increases the effectiveness and penetration of active ingredients in topical preparation.
- Stimulates circulation and collagen production.
- All areas of the body can be treated including scalp, face, and even the fragile skin around eyes, hands and neck.
- Safe on all skin types, including ethnic skin.
- Short healing time with minimal risk of complications.
- Cost-effective compared to other resurfacing procedures.
At Face Cosmedics Medical Spa we suggest Vampire Facial treatments spaced 4-8 weeks apart. However, different skin conditions need specific treatment regimens. Although you will notice a difference after one treatment, most people need three treatments to give the desired results. Some conditions like scarring, acne and significant sun damage or wrinkles may require 6 treatments. Once we have achieved the desired effect, it is important to maintain collagen stimulation by returning to your practitioner every 12-18 weeks for treatments.
Consultations are free and we would love to provide you with an appropriate treatment designed specifically for your skin concerns.
This treatment does call for the use of an anesthetic cream to numb the area, to allow for a deeper more effective treatment. There may be some discomfort, but minimal. The skin may appear red and irritated for a few days. Specially formulated creams can be used to minimize this effect.
Rest assured that your practitioner at Face Cosmedics Medical Spa in Fort McMurray will ensure your treatment is comfortable.
It takes approximately 1.5 hours, numbing takes the most time.
Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) is a concentration of platelets in the blood that are essential for helping the body heal wounds. The concentrated platelets emit growth factors that provide a “healing hit” to the damaged tissue. When it is combined with microneedling, PRP releases growth factors into the skin to help speed up the repair process and stimulate the growth of new collagen and elastin. PRP stimulates the body’s natural healing mechanism, new blood vessel formation, and stimulation of cellular repair for tissue regeneration.
Simply put, PRP gives your microneedling treatment an added boost, in order to give you that fresh, dewy and glowing skin that we all desire.
The Vampire Facial is both safe and effective for all skin types. Microneedling is not a light-based procedure, nor does it involve harsh chemicals or techniques that can instigate significant inflammation of the skin. Furthermore, it does not significantly damage the epidermis. The addition of PRP to the microneedling, enhances the treatment results and because the plasma comes from the client, it is rare to have an adverse reaction.
For these reasons, the Vampire Facial with microneedling and PRP is both safe and effective for every skin type. Burns, scarring, and pigmentation issues are not typical when the procedure is performed correctly and it requires virtually no downtime.
The most common candidates are those concerned with acne scars, hyper-pigmentation, melasma, wrinkles, fine lines, uneven texture and tone, stretch marks, and much more.
Book in for a complimentary skin consultation at our Fort McMurray and Edmonton Face Cosmedics Medical Spa locations to see if the is treatment is right for you.
You can see increased radiance fairly immediately, and benefits increase over four to six weeks as the production of new collagen increases. Studies show that microneedling and enhanced PRP treatments like the Vampire Facial can improve everything from sun damage and wrinkles to acne scaring. Almost anyone with some degree of sun damage or other skin aging is an excellent candidate.
Due to the natural variation in quality of platelet-rich plasma, results will vary between individuals. Some patients may require multiple sessions to obtain desired outcomes.
The treatment begins with drawing your blood and spinning it through a centrifuge in order to concentrate the platelets and isolate the PRP. Your skin will be cleansed and a topical anesthetic to numb your face will be applied for 30 mins.
Next, the numbing will be removed and your face will be again cleansed and prepped. You practitioner will now begin the Vampire facial using a microneedling device which contains single-use, sterile needle cartridges. The microneedling creates microchannels in your skin and the PRP is applied topically during this time.
Our microneedling device at Face Cosmedics Medical Spa has an adjustable needle head that customizes the depth of the microchannels according to your skin concerns. Usually, your practitioner will go deep enough into the skin to produce pinpoint bleeding. We recommend leaving the PRP on your face for 12 hours in order to obtain optimal results.
Unlike Kim Kardashian West in that famous selfie, you shouldn’t have red blood on your face at the end of the procedure. The pure form of PRP shouldn’t have any red blood cells in it—it’s a golden-yellow color. Your face will be red and feel like you have dried egg whites on it
You should not have PRP treatment done if you have any of the following conditions:
- Sunburn or recent sun exposure past 24 hrs
- Use of Tanning lotions in past 24 hrs
- An impaired immune system due to immunosuppressive diseases, HIV, HTV, or immunosuppressive medications
- Skin conditions and diseases including: Facial cancer, existing or uncured. This includes SCC, BCC and melanoma, systemic cancer, and chemotherapy.
- Steroid therapy, dermatological diseases affecting the face (i.e. Porphyria), communicable diseases, blood disorders and platelet abnormalities, anticoagulation therapy (i.e. Warfarin)
- A history of medication over the past 2 months that could affect the skin, i.e., Accutane
- Pacemakers, a history of a severe heart disorder, arrhythmias
- Pregnant or lactating
- Blood thinning medications or blood clotting disorders
- Any active skin disease or disorder around the treatment site; acne, eczema, psoriasis
- A history of keloids or abnormal wound healing
- Any surgical procedure in the treatment area within 3 monthsPRIOR TO TREATMENT, INFORM YOUR PROVIDER OF THE FOLLOWING:
- If you have a history of facial and/or nasal herpes or fever blisters to receive advice on antiviral therapy prior to treatment.
- If you have a history of any significant allergy or skin sensitivity
- If you have any implants that could be metal
- If you have recently had a facial peel or surgery
- Recent use of self-tanning lotions, tanning booths, or prolonged sun exposure 24 hours prior to treatment
6-9 Months Prior to Treatment
No use of Accutane
4 Weeks Prior to treatment:
- No Chemical Peels
- No aggressive treatments.
- No sun exposure
- No tanning of any kind – no self-tanner.
- Otherwise, the risk of skin pigmentation increases.
Week Prior to Treatment
- Stop the use of exfoliants, chemical or mechanical irritants: such as Tretinoin (Retin-A), Retinols, Retinoids, Glycolic Acid, Alpha Hydroxy Acid, Salicylic Acid, or other “anti-aging”, “acne”, and “bleaching” products.
- Avoid waxing, bleaching, tweezing, or the use of hair removal cream on the area to be treated.
- Discontinue blood thinning agents such as vitamin E, vitamin A, Ginko, Garlic, Flax, Cod Liver Oil, and Essential Fatty Acids, and multivitamins, a minimum of 7 days (It is fine to continue iron and vitamin D).
- If you are taking any blood thinners, please let your provider know immediately, as they may represent a contraindication to this treatment. These medications include Plavix, Coumadin and Heparin.
Day of Treatment:
- Please arrive 15 minutes early for adequate prep time.
- Please arrive with no makeup on.
- If the area to be treated requires shaving due to hair involvement, please shave the area the evening prior to your visit, to avoid any trauma or rash from shaving.
- No sun exposure or tanning of any kind
- No use of self-tanner
- No use of exfoliants for up to 2 weeks.
- You may expect a certain degree of discomfort, redness, and/or irritation during and after treatment.
- You may have a bruise at the blood draw site.
- You will look as though you have a moderate to severe sunburn and your skin may feel warm and tighter than usual. This typically diminishes within the same day or within 24 hours.
- If you experience any pain or discomfort you may take Tylenol or other Acetaminophen-containing products as directed. Cold compresses can be applied to reduce swelling if necessary.
- Do not take any anti-inflammatory medications such as Ibuprofen, Motrin or Advil. These agents will interfere with the natural inflammatory process that is critical and responsible for your skin rejuvenation.
- Light scabs may form in the treated area and remain for 24 to 48 hours.
- Do not pick or scratch treated skin but instead keep it moisturized.
- Avoid vigorous exercise, sun and heat exposure for at least 24 hours following your treatment.
- Make sure you only use clean linens and towels during the healing process.
- Avoid pets and small children having contact with treated skin for the first 12 - 24 hours.
- During the healing phase, be sure to disinfect your cell phone or landline phone with alcohol wipes before use. Try to avoid your treated skin’s contact with the phone by choosing a hands-free option.
- LEAVE THE PRP ON FOR AT LEAST 6 HOURS, 12 HOURS PREFERABLY
- Continue to avoid aspirin, Advil, Motrin, Iburprofen, Naproxen, Voltaren and other anti-inflammatory medications for 3 days after your procedure (if possible try for 7 days).
- Use a gentle cleanser (i.e. Avene Clean-Ac Cleanser) and tepid water to cleanse the face for the following 72 hours.
- Use a gentle moisturizer as needed.
- Avoid excessive sun exposure, including tanning booths, and wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen daily of SPF 30 or higher.
- Avoid warm environments (i.e., hot tubs, jacuzzis, steam rooms, hot yoga, saunas, etc.) for 3 days post treatment.
- By day two or three, your skin may feel a bit dry. This is normal and will resolve on its own.
- You may return to your skin care products and makeup when your skin is not irritated, typically 4 -5 days after treatment.
- You will begin to see improvements in the overall texture and tone shortly after your treatment, but the overall
- effects take up to 3 months, for optimal improvement.
- New collagen formation takes 4-6 weeks to develop; please be patient.
- It is recommended to have a minimum of 3 treatments, 4 weeks apart for maximum benefit.
- Drainage – looks like pus
- Increased warmth at or around the treated area
- Fever of 38C or greater
- Severe pain that is unresponsive to over-the-counter pain relievers
- A Vampire Facial works in two phases. First, microneedling creates tiny pinpricks in your skin, triggering a wound-healing response that stimulates your skin’s natural collagen and elastin production.
- Then, to further boost skin cell regeneration, your growth-factor-packed PRP penetrates the skin through the microchannels created via microneedling. Over time, the PRP amplifies collagen production, increases cell turnover, and spurs growth of new blood vessels, resulting in long-term rejuvenating effects.
- This procedure is highly effective and unique as it uses your own natural plasma to rejuvenate your skin without the use of foreign substances, eliminating the risk of complications. PRP promotes collagen growth, regenerates tissue, and thus acts to naturally smooth and tighten the skin. In this way, PRP softens wrinkles and creates a smoother skin texture and tone.
- Plasma contains a high concentration of platelets, stem cells and growth factors. Platelets help your tissue heal and grow new cells. PRP therapy has been used successfully for decades in sports medicine, reconstructive surgery, dentistry, and orthopedic medicine to help speed recovery. In recent years, PRP has been used on the face or body as a skin rejuvenation therapy to improve the appearance of the skin.
- PRP is also beneficial as a hair restoration therapy, as the growth factors in the PRP will naturally stimulate hair growth. Learn about PRP for Hair Loss HERE